More and more education institutes, professional bodies and organizations are turning to social learning to deliver exciting e-learning experiences to their students, partners, employees and customers. The concept is no more a buzzword but is increasingly used by forward-thinking professionals to foster collaborative learning and its application in the workflow to drive performance and the effectiveness.
Though there remains a need for formal training environments to meet specific learning outcomes, the necessity to leverage platforms that enable social and informal learning, where learners network, share, collaborate, and exchange ideas to solve problems, is dominant.
Being social animals is the nature of humans, which is why social interactions are crucial to our development at each stage of our lives. We talk, we listen, and then aim to apply or consider the insights that person confers upon us and the other way around.
Engagement is a hot topic in business, education and learning platforms today. It is the team spirit and interactivity that eventually creates quality practices in online education. You want your employees or students to engage and complete their e-learning courses but the trick is to make the courses as interactive as possible so that no one gets bored. One way you can make this happen is by implementing a Social Learning Platform. But…what is social learning?
Today, delivering truly effective and engaging learning experiences that amplify the success of an organization’s learning strategy is crucial. Deploying social learning concepts and technologies as part of the learning mix is no longer an option, it’s a necessity.
There are a number of social learning tools powered by technology, including social networks and the software we use every day to communicate and interact with people across our personal and professional lives. Some modules create an integrated environment for professional bodies where their members can meet and communicate seamlessly, but also ask questions, give answers, and then rate the value of their experience.
Forward-thinking organizations are using it to drive engagement with their learning and development activities, which leads to healthy growth in job and organizational performance. Moreover, social learning results in on-demand informal surroundings where members collaborate, share, and exchange ideas to solve problems.
Why does social learning matter?
In traditional learning settings, most people recall only 7-10% of the information taught. Imagine the impact that lack of knowledge retention could have on your organization.
Social learning helps organizations reverse these kinds of potential outcomes. Since, it’s main goal is to drive knowledge retention. Instead of relying on traditional methods with low recall, social learning encourages learning in working environments and allows learners to pull knowledge from the specialists within the organizations rather than knowledge being pushed on them. Simply speaking, people learn by example and by direct involvements.
Professional Organizations and Social learning
Social learning takes place naturally in the workplace through interaction between peers, but is also encouraged by social learning tools, such as Learning Management Systems (LMS).
Since we all are social beings, we also need to feel like we’re part of a group. When we share our knowledge, such as by teaching something to someone else, we naturally feel like we’re part of something bigger. This is how organizations improve employee satisfaction, engagement, and belongingness and there are several reasons to adapt to social learning in the workplace, including:
- Shorter orientation for new members: Social learning accelerates this process by acclimatizing new members to the other members of the community and internal Subject Matter Experts quickly, encouraging them to feel comfortable asking questions and creating connections across the organization.
- Constructive Process: It promotes learning as an active and constructive process in creating a community full of members that are engaged with knowledge as a result of informally training their peers.
- Improved communication within the workplace: Communication should be clear in every workplace, at every level. Especially in an online learning environment, social learning facilitates organic collaboration, where insights are shared and valued across the entire organization.
Workplace benefits and social learning
Social learning is now becoming so popular because benefits provided by latest technology are measurable and address common concerns related to its efficacy in the workplace.
Social learning technologies have a huge impact on a number of core processes, including recruiting, onboarding, training, and developing talent. The best thing is that the results are quickly measurable, as social technologies have a direct and obvious effect on performance.
As more learning opportunities rise, a collaborative social learning environment establishes opportunities for troubleshooting, problem-solving, plan implementation, research & development, and innovation to find answers, without any presence of an instructor or guide.
Effective social learning at the Workplace
Social learning is possibly the most widely used learning strategy among adult learners. By sharing performance experiences, lessons learnt, solutions to occupational challenges, and the creative ideas needed to solve them, learners are able to gain a wider spectrum of knowledge within a social learning environment. Learn together, grow together is the new mantra.
These are a few things you can do to make social learning effective in your professional organization;
- Faster and easier employee onboarding: new employees can kickstart their learning process by getting answers to questions from their peers at any time, from day one, alongside the scheduled training.
- Questions & Answers at the point-of-need: Asking questions and testing solutions on actual problems in real time is one of the most effective ways to learn a procedure.
- Participate and contribute as a passive learner: With virtual networks, those who have a shyness can also contribute to the conversation without stepping out of their comfort zones.
- Self-paced learning: Each of us learns at a different pace. If answers to particular questions are available anytime, these can be reviewed again and again until the concept is retained.
- Community Creation in any capacity: Professional bodies have experts in their own particular areas and each of them should be encouraged to take part in a discussion, at all levels. Your organization can boost employees to engage and develop knowledge that makes them experts’ crossways.
- Recognition to the Talent: As your organization creates expertise, that knowledge should be shared, noted of contributions by senior team members, experts, and role models to facilitate and encourage an environment that rewards top performances with measurable recognition.
Social learning features available in uLektz Connect
uLektz learning framework not only give you a novelty to deliver their material, but also gives a way to shift your learning culture and transform it into an opportunity for personal growth with social learning.
We have created an integrated environment where people within any organization can seamlessly meet, communicate, and exchange knowledge. Members can ask questions, get answers, and rate the value of their experience. Within this ecosystem, content is accessible organization-wide. This gives your organization a way to formalize the informal knowledge teams have, while rewarding their best contributors and driving users to engage. And when people are motivated to share and absorb knowledge, it improves performance across organization.
The best part is that uLektz with its social learning capabilities helps you establish an approach to collaborative learning, and building virtual communities that encourage your learners to contribute to ideate and curate new knowledge into a wider knowledge centre which becomes an idea storehouse that constantly gets added to and tapped for many years to come.
- Fact1: Happily-trained employees/staff/users/members/students are vital for the survival of any organization/professional body/college/university/institute, so you need a Learning Management System.
- Fact2: uLektz cloud-based learning system offers mobility, flexibility, better employee/staff/user/member/student engagement, cost predictability and limitless features.
Best Cloud-based Learning Management System for Online Training
uLektz learning management system is ideal for delivering engaging online training, a platform suitable for sophisticated training.
uLektz learning platform brings together the learning solution you need with the social learning experience your learners want in a single environment, powered by Artificial Intelligence in order to automate learning management, facilitate informal learning applied in the flow of work, and personalize the learner experience to produce driven and deeper learning outcomes.
- Train effectively with a next-generation learning and sharing ecosystem
- Deliver an enhanced and enjoyable learning experience for your learners across locations
- Reduce skill gaps to manage a learner environment that is engaged, compliant, and updated
- Simple and easy interface to use to keep your top talent engaged
- Customizable set of tools, quickly deployed and equipped to grow as you go
- Make knowledge accessible, bringing learning into the daily workflow
- Fast, secure and flexible ecosystem with a personalized experience
- Learning at the speed of knowledge by upskilling, reskilling the communities
The uLektz learning ecosystem is an innovative and evolving platform, providing individuals, educational institutes and professional organizations an interface to manage their formal training, access a large repository of resources and take advantage of our community forums – including live webinars from industry experts.
Adapting social learning just makes sense
Adapting to a social learning framework can be fairly simple and technology is half of its chunk. To effectively deploy a social learning strategy that works, professional bodies and establishments must recognize and adapt to a shift in perspective as an opportunity for personal and professional growth. This is particularly true among organizations that suffer from employee engagement and retention issues.
Social learning isn’t a quick-fix to your e-learning issues, its benefits go beyond the effectiveness of your organizational learning strategy in the workplace setting, it’s not an option anymore, definitely necessity.